Saturday, December 23, 2006

Shetland Shawl

Originally posted at my yahoo blog on Dec. 23, 2006.

Having done the beautiful swallowtail shawl, shetland is such an easy task for me~ huh! The two patterns were both designed by Evelyn Clark, with same cast on method.

I've been falling into lace shawl since Autumn, and all my shawls are given as gifts to my friends and to my family.

I love fingering yarn, very much! But fingering yarn is not good for knitting a sweater, but is perfect for lace projects. I always pick up needles with two size bigger than suggested so the lace pattern would be more obvious, and off course, the knitting process would speed up a bit.

Pattern: Wrap Style by Pam Allen
Yarn: Sipan (50%alpaca 50%wool)
Needles: Clover #6 circular needles
Size: after blocking: 142cm/65cm

The amount of yarn used has confused me a lot. From the book, it said 500 meters yarn used for a 134 cm shawl, with 8 time repeats on body pattern. The yarn I bought from a local yarn store is a discount yarn, no length was indidcated on the label, but, from my experience on using the same yarn knitting Ene's Scarf, I know the yarn is pretty long enough. However, when I was done the body pattern, it took me less than a ball of yarn, off course the size of the shawl is very tiny! If I follow the pattern repeat, my size of shetland shawl will be like a hankerchief!



Therefore, I made 12 repeats for the body instead and it took me two and half balls to knit the whole thing.

The size is very satifying. My aunty said the pattern looks like bats flying around, and Judy said they are butterflies. I am happy that I chose the white color to knit, because it gives a purity touch to the shawl.


Pattern before blocking looks like...hedgehogs to me...

1 comment:

Svetlana said...

This is one the most amazing version of the Shetland Triangle. Great job!